Main Article Content
Background Obesity is a chronic metabolic disorder associated with cardiovascular disease (CVD) increasing morbidity-mortality rates. It is apparent that a variety of adaptations/alterations in cardiac structure and function occurs as excessive adipose tissue accumulates. This leads to a decrease in diastolic compliance, eventually resulting in an increase in left ventricular filling pressure and left ventricular enlargement.
Objective To evaluate left ventricular hypertrophy (LVH) among obese using electrocardiographic (ECG) criteria.
Methods A cross-sectional study was conducted on 74 children aged 10-15 years from February 2009 to October 2009. The subjects were divided into obese and control groups. Physical examination and standard 12 lead electrocardiography (ECG) were done in both groups.
Results Of 37 obese children, LVH were featured in 3 subjects, while in control group, only 1 child had LVH (P= 0.304). We found that mean RV6 in obese and control group were 9.8446 (SD 3.5854) and 11.9662 (SD 3.2857), respectively (P=0.005). As an additional findings, we found that birth weight was related to obesity in children.
Conclusion There is no relation between obesity and left ventricular using ECG criteria in obese children aged 10-15 years.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
2. Obesitas. In: Pusponegoro HD, Hadinegoro SRS, Finnanda D, Trijaja B, Pudjiadi AH, Kosim MS, et al, editors. Standar pelayanan medis kesehatan anak. Jakarta: Indonesian Pediatric Society Publishing House; 2004. p. 237A2.
3. Hanevold C, Waller J, Daniels S, Portman R, Sorof J. T h e effect of obesity, gender and ethnic group on left ventricular hypertrophy and geometry in hypertensive children: a collaborative study of the international pediatric hypertension association. Pediatrics. 2004; 113:328-32.
4. Peterson LR, Waggoner AD, Schechtman KB, Meyer T, Gropler RJ, Barzilai B, et al. Alterations in left ventricularstructure and function in young healthy obese woman. J Am Coli Cardiol. 2004;43:1399-404.
5. de Simone G, Daniels SR, Devereux RE. Left ventricular mass and body size in normotensive children and adults: assessment of allometric relations and impact of overweight. J Am Coli Cardiol. 1992;20:1251•60.
6. Klabunke RE. Cardiovascular Physiology. ©2009 [cited 2009 Dec 12]. Available from: http://www.cvphysiology.com/ Heart%20Failure.
7. Levy D, Garrison RJ, Savage DD, Kannel WB, Castelli WP. Prognostic implications of echocardiographically determined left ventricular mass in the Framingham Heart Study. N Engl J Med. 1990;322:1561-6.
8. Putra ST, Sastroasmoro S, Siregar AA. Elektrokardiokrafi. In: Sastroasmoro S, Madiyono B, editors. Buku ajar kardiologi anak. Jakarta: Indonesian Pediatric Society; 1994. p. 27-86.
9. Park MK. Pediatric cardiology for practitioners. 4th ed. St. Louis. Mosby, Inc, 2002. p. 34-51.
10. Baraas HE Kardiologi klinis dalam praktek diagnosis dan tatalaksana penyakit jantung pada anak. Jakarta: Publishing House of Medical School, University ofIndonesia; 1995. p. 9-26.
11. T haler MS. Satusatunya buku EKG yang anda perlukan [translation]. 2nd ed. Jakarta: Hipokrates; 1996. p. 7-88.
12. Gasperin CA, Germiniani H, Facin CR, Souza AM, da Cunha CLP. An analysis of electrocardiographic criteria for detennining left ventricular hypertrophy. Arq Bras Cardiol. 2002;78:72-83.
13. Soetjiningsih. Obesitas pada anak. In : Ranuh I, editor. Tumbuh kembang anak. 1st ed. Jakarta. EOC; 1998. p. 183-90.
14. Dietz WHo Critical periods in childhood for the development of obesity. Am J Clin Nutr. 1994;59:595-9.
15. Mexitalia M. Nutrisi pencegahan: prudent diet. In : Gunawan G, editor. Tumbuh kembang, nutrisi dan endokrin. Proceedings of the 5th Continuing Medical Education Conference; 2006 Feb 18-19; Banjannasin, South Borneo. Jakarta: Indonesian Pediatric Society: 2006. p. 29A2.
16. Danielzik S, Muller MJ, Langnase K. Parenteral overweight, socioeconomic status and high birth weight are the major detenninants of overwight and obesity in 5-7 y old children. Int) Obes. 2004;28:1491-1502.
17. Freedman DS, Dietz WH, Srinivisan SR, Berenson GS. The relation of overweight to cardiovascular risk factors among children: the Bogalusa heart study. Pediatrics. 1999; 103:1175-82.
18. Ronner B, Prineas R, Daniels SR. Blow pressure differences bet\.Veen blacks and whites in relation to bwy size among US chUdren and adolescents. Am J Epidemiol. 2000; 151:1007-19.
19. Rijnbeek PR, van Herpen G, Kapusta L, Harkel D J , Witsenburg M, Kors JA. Electrocardiographic criteria for left ventricular hypertrophy in children. Pediatr cardiol. 2008;29:923-28.
20. Malcolm DD, Burns TL, Mahoney LT, Lauer RM. Factors affecting left ventricular mass in childhood: the Muscatine study. Pediatrics. 1993;92:703-9.
21. D omingos H, Luzio JCE, Lelesg N. Correlac;ao eletro -ecocardiografica no diagn6stico da hipertrofia ventricular esquerda. Arq Bras Cardiol. 1998;71: 31-5.
22. Bwwn DW, Giles WH, CroftJB. Left ventricular hypertrophy as a predictor of coronary heart disease mortality and the effect of hypertension. Am Heart J. 2000; 140:848-56.