Main Article Content
From October 15 until December 15, 1978, 13 children with acute enteritis
admitted to the Pediatric ward, Pirngadi Hospital Medan and treated with i. v.
half strength Ringer's lactate in Dextrose 2.5% had been evaluated for hypopotassemia. Criteria used were a serum potassium level of less than 4 mEq /L and the typical ECG pattern.
Out of the 13 patients, 10 (79,6%) developed hypopotassemia during i. v.
therapy. It is concluded that in cases of Pediatric gastroenteritis treated with half strength Ringer's lactate in Dextrose 2,.% the possibility of hypopotassemia should be seriously borne in mind.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
2. HOLDAWAY, M.D. : Management of gastroentcritis in early childhood. Med. Progr. 5 : 33-45 (1978).
3. IYNKARAN, N. : Acute infective enteritis in infants and children. Mother and child 5 : 16-19 (1979).
4. KEMPE, C.H.; SILVER, H.K. : Current pediatric diagnosis & treatmetnt; 5th ed. pp. 376 - 377 (Maruzen, Tokyo 1978).
6. PIERCE, .F.: HIRSCHHORN, N. : Oral fluid, a simple weapon against dehydration in diarrhoea. WHO Chron. 31 : 87-93 (1977).
7. RUBENSTEIN, D.; WAYNE, D. : Lecture notes on clinical medicine; 1st ed. pp. 63-76 (Med. Book, Malaysia 1976).
8. VAUGHAN, V.C.; MCKAY, R.J. : Nelson's Textbook of Pediatrics; 10th ed, pp. 257· 262 (lgaku Shoin, Tokyo 1971).