Main Article Content
Background Patients suffering from chronic health conditions are compelled to strive to adjust in their communities. As a result, changes in their physical and psychosocial states are likely to occur. Several studies have described the prevalence of behavioral disorders in such patients. Pediatric Symptom Checklist (PSC) is a screening tool to detect behavioral disorders in children with chronic illness.
Objective To determine the prevalence of and factors associated with behavioral disorders in children with chronic health conditions.
Methods A cross sectional study was conducted on 4 to 14 year-old-children with chronic diseases in out-patient clinic, Sanglah Hospital from October to December 2008. PSC-17 was used to screen the presence of behavioral disorders. Bivariate analysis and logistic regression were used for analysis.
Results One hundred and four children were included in this study. The prevalence of behavioral disorder based on PSC-17 score ≥ 15 was 37.5%. The study showed that duration of illness of more than 3 years had significant correlation with behavioral disorders, compared with the group of 3 month – 3 years duration of illness (OR 3.30, 95% CI 1.33 to 8.22, P = 0.010}.
Conclusions Prevalence of behavioral disorders in children with chronic health condition is 37.5%. The duration of illness contributes to the manifestation of behavioral disorders in children with chronic health conditions. [Paediatr Indones. 2010;50:1-5].
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
2. Soetjiningsih. Tumbuh kembang anak dan remaja. 1st ed. Jakarta: Sagung Seto; 2005.
3. Suris JC, Michaud PA, Akre C, Sawyer SM. Health risk behaviors in adolescents with chronic conditions. Pediatrics. 2008;122(5):1113-8.
4. Gortmaker SL, Walker DK, Weitzman M, Sobol AM. Chronic conditions, socioeconomic risks and behavioral problems in children and adolescents. Pediatrics. 1990;85(3):267-76.
5. M Montes G, Halterman JS. Association of childhood autism spectrum disorders and loss of family income. Pediatrics. 2008;121:821-6.
6. Azwar S. Sikap manusia: teori dan pengukuran. 2nd ed. Yogyakarta: Pustaka Pelajar; 1995.
7. Gardner W, Murphy M, Childs G. The PSC-17: a brief pediatric symptom checklist including psychosocial problem subscales: a report from PROROS and ASPN. Amb Child Health. 1999;5:225–36.
8. Jellinek MS, Murphy M, Little M, Pagano ME, Comer DM, Kelleher KJ. Use of the pediatric symptom checklist for psychosocial problems in pediatric primary care: a national feasibility study. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 1999;153:254-60.
9. Van Dyck PC, Kogan MD, McPherson MG, Weissman GR, Newacheck PW. Prevalence and characteristics of children with special health care needs. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2004;158:884-90.
10. Silver EJ, Stein RE K, Bauman LJ. Sociodemographic and condition-related characteristics associated with conduct problems in school-aged children with chronic health conditions. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 1999;153:815-20.
11. Pradhan PV, Shah H, Rao P, Asturkhar D, Ghaisas P. Psychopathology and self esteem in chronic illness. Indian J Pediatr. 2003;70:135-8.
12. Hoard LR. Chronic illness and behavior problems in children: mediating and moderatinginfluences . Thesis. Maryland: University of Maryland; 2004.
13. Hanson MD, Chen E. Socioeconomic status and substance use behaviors in adolescents: the role of family resources versus family social status. J Health Psychol. 2007;12(1):32–5.
14. Soetjiningsih. Tumbuh kembang remaja dan permasalahannya. 1st edition. Jakarta: Sagung Seto, 2004.
15. Alati R, O’Callaghan M, Najman JM, Williams GM. Asthma and internalizing behavior problems in adolescence: a longitudinal study. Psychosomatic Medicine. 2005;67:462-70.