Main Article Content
Background A good and proper knowledge and behavior of mothers as to how they breast-feed their young is supposed to enhance the health of the community.
Objective To find out the knowledge and behavior of mothers of under-fives about the technique of nursing and its related factors.
Methods The study was perionned from September 20 to October 15, 1999 at Kelurahan Pisangan Baru, East Jakarta. The respondents were 101 mothers owning under-fives, attained by the multi-stage cluster random sampling method. Questionnaires were used and observation was made only on mothers who were suckling their child during the interview.
Results Mother's knowledge about the way of suckling was found unsatisfactory in 46.5% although 51.5% of mothers revealed a good behavior. Statistical analysis showed no significant relationships between factors such as age, educational level, occupation, family income and mother's activity with mother's knowledge and behavior
about the way of nursing their child.
Conclusions There was no significant relationship between mother's knowledge and behavior about breastfeeding. Other factors beyond this studied factors should be taken into account.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
2. Ruth AL. Breastfeeding. A guide for medical profession. 3rd ed. St Louis: Mosby Company; 1989. p. 59-142.
3. Sastroasmoro S. Pemilihan subyek penelitian. In: Sasroasmoro S, Ismael S, editors. Metodologi penelitian. Jakarta; Binarupa Abara; 1995. p. 42.51.
4. Wawolumaya C . Survei epidemiologi sederhana. Jakarta: FKM-UI;1997. p. 44-67.
5. Sastroamidjojo S. Aspek gizi air susu ibu dalam pertumbuhan dan perkembangan bayi.-anak. In: Suharyono, Suradi R, Firmansyah A, editors. Air susu ibu. Tinjauan dari beberapa aspek. 2nd ed. Jakatta: Balai Penerbit FKUI; 1992. p. 79-81.
6. Pudjiadi S. Bayiku sayang. Jakarta: Balai Penerbit FKUI; 1992. p. 16-33.