Main Article Content
fants is malnutrition which causes histological and biochemical
changes of small intestine. Studies on histology and enzyme ac-
tivity of small intestinal mucosa were not much developed.
Objective To study about histology and disaccharidases activity of
small intestinal mucosa in post-weaning-induced malnourished rats.
Methods We used Sprague-Dawley white rats as the subjects of
this study with post test-control group design. The study was per-
formed at the CentER for Research of Food and Nutrition Devel-
opment from April 2003 to December 2004.
Results There were a decrease of body weight (hypotrophy nor-
moblastic) and an increase of disaccharidase activity of small in-
testinal mucosa in post-weaning-induced malnourished rats. After
realimentation, there were an increase of body weight, an improve-
ment of the hypotrophy, and a decrease of the enzyme but they
still cannot reach normal condition.
Conclusion In malnourished rats, there are decrease of body
weight hypotrophy normoblastic and increase of disaccharidases
activity of intestinal mucosa that are improved after realimentation
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
trointestinal pada tumbuh kembang anak. Dalam:
Suharyono, penyunting. Esensial gastroenterologi anak.
Jakarta: Balai Penerbit FKUI; 1995. p. 97-107.
2. Behrman RE, Shiono PH. Neonatal risk factors. In:
Fanaroff AA, Martin RJ, editors. Neonatal-perinatal
medicine: Disease of the fetus and infant. 6th ed. St
Louis: Mosby; 1997. p. 3-12.
3. Prindull G, Manzar A. The ontogeny of the gut mu-
cosal immune system and the susceptibility to infec-
tion in infants of developing countries. Eur J Pediatr
4. Brundtland GH. Women of South East Asia: A health
profile. Regional publications SEARO No. 34; 2000.
5. Ahmed F. Novel foods across the lifespan, from infant
formula to impact on aging. Asia Pacific J Clin Nutr
6. Buchmiller-Crair TL, Gregg JP, River FA, Choi RS,
Diamond JM, Fonkalsrud EW. Delayed disaccharidase
development in a rabbit model of intrauterine growth
retardation. Pediat Res 2001;50:520-4.
7. Boersma B, Wit JM. Catch-up growth. Endocrin re-
views 1997;18:646-61. Available at: http://www.edrv.
8. Cook GC, Lee FD. The jejunum after kwashiorkhor.
9. Young CM, Lee PC, Lebenthal E. Maternal dietary re-
striction during pregnancy and lactation: Effect on di-
gestive organ development in suckling rats. Am J Clin
10. Firmansyah A. Pengaruh malnutrisi terhadap saluran
cerna tikus putih: Perhatian khusus pada perkembangan
morfologis, biokimia, dan fisiologi terutama kolon
[disertasi]. Jakarta: Program Pascasarjana Universitas
11. Nainggolan M. Experiment design: Perencanaan dan
penggunaannya dalam praktek. Medan;1965.
12. Dahlqvist A. Method for assay of intestinal disaccha-
ridases. Analyt Biochem 1964;7:18-25.
13. Lebenthal E, Nitzan M, Chrzanowksi BL, Krantz B.
The effect of reduced maternofetal blood flow on the
development of fetal pancreatic acinar and enzymes.
14. Shrader RE, Ferlatte MI, Zeman FJS. Early postnatal
development of the intestine in progeny of protein-
deprived rats. Bil Neonate 1977;31:181-98.
15. Firmansyah A, Suwandito L, Penn D, Lebenthal E. Pre
and postnatal nutrient depriviation causes hypotrophic
small intestinal and hypoplastic colonic mucosa. Am J
Clin Nutr 1988;47:779.
16. Hatch TF, Lebenthal E, Bransi D, Krasner. The effect
of early postnatal acquired malnutrition on intestinal
growth, disaccharidases and enterokinase. J Nutr
17. Rossi TM, Lee PC, Young CM, Lerner A, Lebenthal E.
Effect of nutritional rehabilitation on the development
of intestinal brush-border disaccharidases of postna-
tally malnourished weanling rats. Int Pediatr Res
18. Butzner JD, Gall DG. Impact of refeeding on intestinal
development and function in infant rabbits subjected
to protein-energy malnutrition. Pediatr Res 1990;27:
19. Jambunathan LR, Neuhoff D, Younoszai MK. Intesti-
nal disaccharidases in malnourished infant rats. Am J
Clin Nutr 1981;34:1879-84.