Main Article Content
Signet ring cell carcinoma (SRCC), a variant of adenocarcinoma, is defined by the presence of more than 50% of tumor cells with prominent intracytoplasmic mucin.1 Primary gastrointestinal malignancies constitute only 1% of pediatric neoplasms and 0.34% take the form of colon carcinoma. It is a very rare disease in persons under 17 years of age, 94% of which is found in children> 9 years of age. [.4 In contrast to adults, approximately
50% of colon carcinoma cases in children are the highly malignant mucin'producing adenocarcinoma type.4 The typical signet-ring cell has a large mucin vacuole that fills the cytoplasm and pushes the nuclei to the side, thereby giving the cells their signature histologic appearance.S,6 Carcinoma of the colon during childhood has been associated with familial
polyposis and ulcerative colitis. However, carcinoma arising de novo is the most common type.2,3 Risk factors include a high caloric diet rich in animal fat, sedentary lifestyle, smoking, alcohol consumption, low vegetable fibre consumption, chronic inflammatory bowel disease, ulcerative colitis, Crohn's disease, and polymorphism in key enzymes of injurious compounds.s
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
2. Middlekamp JN, Haffner H. Carcinoma of the colon in children. Pediatrics. 1963;32.558-71.
3. Rao BN, Pratt CB, Fleming ID, Dilawari RA, Green AA, Austin BA. Colon carcinoma in children and adolescents. Cancer. 1985;55.13 22-6.
4. Jones PO, Campbell PE. Carcinoma of the colon and rectum. In: Jones PO, Campbell PE, editors. Tumours of infancy and childhood. l't ed. Philadelphia: Blackwell Scientific Publications; 1976. p. 641-9.
5. International Agency for Research on Cancer. Tumours of the colon and rectum. In: Hamilton SR, Aaltonen LA, editors. W HO classification on tumours: Pathology and genetics of tumours of the digestive system. 1st ed. Lyon: IARC; 2000. p.104-19.
6. Lee WS, Chun HK, Lee WY, Yun SH, Cho Y B, Yun HR, et al. Treatment outcomes in patients Mth signet ring cell carcinoma of the colorectum. Am J Surg. 2007;194:294-8.
7. Jones PO, Campbell PE. Malignant disease in childhood. In: Jones PO, Campbell PE, editors. Tumours of infancy and childhood. l't ed. Philadelphia: Blackwell Scientific Publications; 1976. p. 21-31.
8. Kaiser AM, NunooMensah Jw, Beart RW. Tumors of the colon. In: Zinner MJ, Ashley SW, editors. Ma ingot's abdominal operations. 11 th ed. Massachusetts: McGraw-Hill; 2007. p. 625-52.
9. Kelompok Kerja Adenokarsinoma Kolorektal. Insidensi dan pencegahan karsinoma kolorektal. In: Sjamsuhidajat R, Karnadihardja W, Rudiman R, et al., editors. Adenokarsinoma kolorektal: Panduan pengelolaan. 1st ed. Jakarta: Kelompok Kerja Adenokarsinoma Kolorektal; 2006. p. 5-9.
10. Furman WL, Hill DA, LaQuaglia M. Colorectal cancer. In: Bleyer WA, Barr RD, editors. Cancer in adolescents and young adults. 1st ed. Berlin: Springer; 2007. p. 331-40..
11. Shah RS, Pikale HS, Binnole Bj, Kulkarni BK, Borwankar SS. Adenocarcinoma of the colon in a child. J Postgrad Med. 1992;38:81-3.
12. Riddell RH, Petras RE, Williams OT, Sobin LH. Epithelial neoplasia of the intestines. In: R iddell RH, Petras RE, Williams OT, Sobin LH, editors. Tumors of the intestines. l't ed. Washington DC: T he Armed Forces Institute of Pathology; 2003. p. 133-62.
13. Leonard 0, Grem J. Colorectal Cancer. In: Boyiadzis MM, LeboMtz PF, Frame IN, Fojo T, editors. Hematology oncology therapy. 1st ed. N ew York: McGrawHill; 2007. p. 101-18.