Effect of inhaled procaterol and budesonide on right ventricular diastolic function in children with asthma
AbstractObjectives To study changes in parameters of right ventricular
(RV) diastolic function after procaterol and budesonide inhalation
in children with asthma.
Methods This was a one-group pretest-posttest design to determine
changes in right ventricular diastolic function following
four weeks of inhaled procaterol and budesonide administration.
Subjects were children aged 8 to 18 years with frequent episodic
asthma recruited consecutively at the Department of Child
Health, Cipto Mangunkusumo Hospital. M-mode and 2-D
echocardiography examinations were performed to determine RV
isovolumetric relaxation time (IVRT), acceleration time (AT),
deceleration time (DT), E wave, A wave, E/ A ratio, and tricuspid
annular plane systolic excursion (TAPSE). Means of the RV
function parameters before and after treatment were compared
using the paired t-test or Wilcoxon test.
Results There were 29 patients comprising 16 boys and 13 girls. The
means or medians of theE wave, A wave, E/A ratio, acceleration
time (AT), deceleration time (DT), and isovolumetric relaxation
time (IVRT) before and after treatment were 0.55 and 0.55 em/sec
(P=0.709), 0.45 and 0.35 em/sec (P<O.OOOl), 1.17 and 1.58 em/sec
(P<0.0001), 52.73 and 55.03 m/sec (P=0.04), 55.39 and 58.10 m/
sec (P=0.03), and 46.50 and 70.0 m/sec (P<0.0001), respectively.
The median pre- and post-inhalation TAPSE were 1.63 and 1.84
em, respectively (P<0.001).
Conclusions In children with frequent episodic asthma, there
are changes in RV diastolic functions IVRT, AT, DT, E/A ratio
and A wave following procaterol and budesonide inhalation.
There was no increase in E wave following inhalation. TAPSE
was increased following procaterol and budesonide inhalation.
asma anak. Jakarta: UKK Pulmonologi Anak PP IDAI, 2004;
2. Liu AH, Spahn JD, Leung YM. Chilhood asthma. In: Behrman
RE, Kligman RM, eds. Nelson textbook of pediatrics. 16th ed.
Philadelphia: WB Saunders, 2006; p. 760-73.
3. Neder JA, Nery LE, Silva AC. Short term effects of aerobic
training in the clinical management of moderate to severe
asthma in children. Thorax. 1999;54:202-06.
4. Roche WR, Jeffery PK. Remodelling and inflammation. In:
Silverman M, eds. Childhood asthma and other wheezing
disorders. 2nd ed. Oxford: Arnold, 2002; p. 93-277.
5. Raby BA, Steen KV, Celedon JC, Augusto. Paternal history
of asthma and airway responsiveness in children with asthma.
Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2005; 172:552-8.
6. Jardin F, Dubourg 0, Margairaz. Inspiratory impairment in
right ventricular performance during acute asthma. Chest.
7. Veler H, Clayton G. Asthma. In: Panitch HB, penyunting.
Pediatric Pulmonology. The Requisites in Pediatrics.
Philadelphia: Mosby, 2005; p. 95-115.
8. Woolcock A, Keena V, Peat J. Definition, classification,
epidemiology and risk factors. In: O'Byme M, Thomphson
C, eds. Manual of asthma management. 2nded. Philadelphia:
WB Saunders, 2001; p. 3-37
9. Vetter VL.Heart failure in pediatrics. In: Vetter VL, Bell
LM, eds. Pediatric Cardiology. Philadelphia: Mosby, 2006;
10. Bernstein D. The cardiovascular system. In: Behrman RE,
Kliegman RM, eds. Nelson textbook of pediatrics. 16th ed.
Philadelphia: WB Saunders, 2006; p. 1475-99.
11. Santoso H. Penyakit jantung paru. In: Sastroasmoro S.
Madiyono B, eds. Buku ajar kardologi anak. Jakarta:
Binakarya Aksara, 1994; p. 391-403.
12. Zhendong Y. Effect of age and respiration on right ventricular
diastolic filling patterns in normal children. Pediatr Cardia!.
13. Ayten P, Ozyurek H. Assessment of right ventricular diastolic
filling parameters by Doppler echocardiography. Pediatr
14. Okada Y, Ono S, Morikawa A. Doppler echocardiographic
evaluation of right ventricular diastolic function in children.
Pediatr Cardia!. 2000;21 :358-62.
15. Burgess M, Bright-Thomas RJ, Ray GS. Echocardiographic
evaluation of right ventricular function. Eur J Echocardiography.
16. De Groff CG. Doppler echocardiography. In: Valdez-cruz LM,
Cayre RO, eds. Echocardiographic diagnosis of congenital
heart disease. Philadelphia: Lippincot-Raven publisher, 1999;
17. Snider R, Bengur RA. Doppler echocardiography. In: Moss
and Adams, eds. Heart disease in infants, children and
adolescents including the fetus and young adult. 5th ed.
Philadelphia: Williams and Wilkins,1995; p. 270-93.
18. Karvandi M, Piranfar MA, Ghaffaripour M. An alternative
method for perioperative estimation of pulmonary artery
systolic pressure by echocardiography. Shiraz E-Medical J.
19. Tamborini G, Pepi M, Galli CA. Feasibility and accuracy of
a routine echocardiographic assessment of right ventricular
function. IntJ Cardia!. 2007;115:86-9.
20. Wiedemann HP, Matthay RA. Management of cor
pulmonale. In: Scrarf SM, eds. heart-lung interactions in
Health and Disease. 1" ed. New York: Marcel Decker, 1989;
21. Marangoni, Scalvini, Schena. Right ventricular diastolic
function in chronic obstructive lung disease. Eur Respir J.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.