Corticosteroid in the treatment of cerebral malaria

Main Article Content

T. H. Rampengan
S. Salendu Warouw
J. M. Wantanea
Muzief Munir

Abstract

From January 1978 up to December 1980, twenty patients diagnosed with cerebral malaria were admitted at the Department of Child Health, Medical School, Sam Ratulangi University, General Hospital, Manado. They were treated with chloroquin (10 mg/kg body weight/day) intramuscularly, divided into two equal daily doses for consecutive 1-3 days, then continued by chloroquin orally for three more days. All patients also received intravenous fluid drips, symptomatic treatment, and cortisone acetate (15 mg/kg body weight/day) intramuscularly divided into three equal daily doses for three days.


Four (20 %) of the cases proved fatal. The remaining 16 (80 %) recovered within 8.5 days on the average, and regained complete consciousness generally within 2% days. No after effects were reported.

Article Details

How to Cite
1.
Rampengan T, Warouw S, Wantanea J, Munir M. Corticosteroid in the treatment of cerebral malaria. PI [Internet]. 3Aug.2018 [cited 21Jul.2019];24(1-2):11-. Available from: https://paediatricaindonesiana.org/index.php/paediatrica-indonesiana/article/view/1907
Section
Infection & Tropical Pediatrics
Received 2018-08-03
Published 2018-08-03

References

1. ADAMS; MAEGRAITH: Clinical tropical diseases. Fifth ed. p. 246, 270 (mackwell scient. Publ. Oxford and Edinburg. 1971).
2. BOROCHOVITZ, D.; CROSLEY, A.L.; METZ, J. : Disseminated intravascular coagulation with fatal hemorrhage in cerebral malaria. Br. Med. J. 2 : 710 (1970).
3. BRUCE CHWATT, L.J.: Prevention and treatment of malaria. Tropical Doctor 7: 17-20 (1977).
4. DEVAKUL, K.; HARINASUTA, T.; REID, M.A. : 125 I-Lebelled Fibrinogen in cerebral malaria. Lancet ii : 886-888 (1966).
5. GILLES, H.M.: MallarJa in Children. Br. Med. J. 4: 1375- 1377 (1966).
6. GOODMAN, L.S.; GILLMAN, A. : The Pharmacological basis of therapeutic. Fifth Ed. p. 1485- 1488 (Me Millan Publ. New York, 1975).
7. HALL, A.P. : The treatment of malaria. Br. Med. J. I : 323-328 (1976).
8. MUNIR, M.; TJANDRA, H.; Rampengan, T.H.; Mustadjab, I.; Wulur, F.H. : Heparin in treatment of cerebral malaria. A preliminary report. Paediatr. Indones. 16 : 489- 495 (1976).
9. MUNIR, M.; TJANIRA, H.; RAMPENGAN, T.H.; MUSTADJAB, I.; WULUR, F.H. : Heparin in the treatment of cerebral malaria. A preliminary report. Paediatr. lndones. 20: 47- (1980).
10. PAAR, D.; KONIG. E.; FONK, 1.; BRITTINGER, G.: Cerebral malaria and intravascular coagulation. Br. Med. J. 4: 805 (1970).
11. PUNYAGUPTA, S.; SRICHAIKUL, T.; NITIYANANI, P.; PETCHELAI, B. : Acute pulmonary insufficiency in falciparum malaria. Amer. J. trop. med. Hyg. 23: 551.559 (1974).
12. ROBBINS, S.L.; ANGELL, M. : Basic pathology, second Ed. 334 (Saunders Philadelphia, Toronto, 1976).
13. SMITHKAMP, H.; WOLTHUIS, F.H.: New concepts in the treatment of malignant tertiana malaria with cerebral involvement, Br. Med. J. 1 : 713 -716 (1971).
14. VREEKEN, J.; CREMER-GOOTE, Th. M. : Haemostatic defect in non immune patients with falciparum malaria : no evidence of diffuse intravascular coagulation. Br. Med. J. 2: 533 ยท 535 (1978).