Main Article Content
Nine children with diphtheritic ventricular tachycardia ranging in age from 2 to 11 years (mean 6.5 years) were observed and followed up until their terminal state. The ventricular tachycardia showed a left bundle branch block contour in 5 of 9 patients, right bundle branch block in four, multifocal pacemaker in three and unifocal in six patients. Fusion and captured beats were present in two and 4 patients respectively, Including one patient who had both. Four cases were without obvious atrio-ventricular dissociation.
All patients were treated with standard therapy for diphtheria, and prednison was given to patients with myocarditis. Because of its controversial results, antwrrhythm1c agent was not given.
The prognosis is very poor; all patients died one to 8 days after ventricular tachycardia appearance.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
2. FEIGIN, R.D.; STECHENBER, B.W.: Diphtheria; in Feigin, Cherry, Textbook of Pediatric Infectious Disease; 2nd ed. 1134-40 (W .B. Saunders, London 1987).
3. FEIGIN, R.D.: Diphthera; in Behrman, Vaughan, Nelson, Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics; 13th ed. pp, 593-596 (W.B. Saunders, Philadelphia 1987).
4. GAUM, W.E.; SCHWARTZ, D.C.; Kaplan, S.: Ventricular tachycardia in infancy: evidence for a reentry mechanism. Circulation 2: 401-406, (1980).
5. HERNANDEZ, A.; STRAUSS, A.; KLEIGER, R.E.; GOLDRING: Idiopathic paroxysmal ventricular tachycardia in infants and children. Pediatrics 86: 182-88 (1975).
6. HENDERSON, D.A.; Lobusquire, R.; NICHOLSON, CL.,; REY, M.; RISTORI, C.; DOWN, P.J.N.; SULIANTI SAROSA, J.; MILLAR J.D.: Immunization. Second Nat. Congr. Pacdiat. Bandung (1971).
7. HONH, A.R.: Basic Pediatric Electrocardiography; pp. 198-205 (William & Wilkins, Baltimore 1974).
8. MAIMUNAH B. AFFANDI, KARJOMANG GOLO, W.T., RANT!, I.S.F., and WIDODO TALOGO: Diphtheria in childhood in Jakarta. Paediatr. Indones. 5: 942-950 (1%5).
9. NADAS, A.S.; FYLER, D.C.: Pediatric Cardiology 3rd ed., pp. 235-238 (W.B. Saunders, Philadelphia 1972)
10. PEDERSON, D.H.; ZIPES, D.P.; FOSTER, P.R.; TROUP, R.J.: Ventricular tachycardia and ventricular fibrillation in a young population. Circulation 60: 988-995 (1979).
11. SOBIRAN, H.; WAHAB, A.S.: Pola kelainan EKG pada penderita diphtheri. Laporan Kegiatan Pendidikan Keahlian Ilmu Kesehatan Anak FK UGM, (1984).
12. VIDEBACK, J.; ANDERSON, E.D.; JACOBSON, J.R.; SANOOE, E.; WENNEVOLD, A.: Paroxysmal tachycardia in infancy and childhood II. Paroxysmal ventricular tachycardia and fibrillation. Acta paediat. scand. 62: 349-57 (1973).
13. WAHAB, A.S.; ISMANGOEN; PUSTIKA SASTROAMIDJOJO: A selective study of clinical diphtheric myocarditis. Paediatr. Indones. 12: 24-30 (1973).
14. WALLGREN, A.: Vaccination in childhood. Triangle 4: 44-48 (1969).