Main Article Content
The records of 28 children whose first episode of paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia occurred before 12 years (median age 10 months) were reviewed. There were 17 males and 11 females. In 17 cases the first attack occurred before the first year and in 11 of these it occurred after the first year. One case had congenital heart disease (ASD). The WPW syndrome was diagnosed in 3 cases. When first seen, most of the infants presented with signs of incipient or manifest congestive heart failure. In almost ninetenth fo cases rhere was an increased of serum enzymes (lactic dehydrogenase, creatinephosphokinase and glutamic oxaloaccetic transaminase. Digitals was effective against congestive heart failure and when continued, might prevent failure during subsequent attacks. Antiarrhythmic agents other than digitals were not used. It is recommended to continue digitalis treatment for at least one year in all patients with SVT, whether or not the first episode terminated spontaneously.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
2. ANDERSON, E.D.; JACOBSEN, J.R.; Sandoe, E.; Videbaek, J.; WENNEVOLD, A.: Paroxysmal tachycardia in infancy and childhood I Paroxysmal Supraventricular Tachycardia. Acta Paediat. scand. 62: 341-8 (1973).
3. CHESLER, E.: Serum glutamine oxalocetic transaminase levels in diphtheritic myocarditis. Br. Heart. J. 20, 24-7 (1958).
4. DAVIE, J.V.; Lewis, S.M. : Practical haematology 51h ed. pp. (Churchil Livingstone, London, 1975).
5. GARSON, A.; Gillette, P.C. and Me Namara, D.G.: Supraventricular tachycardia in children: Clinical features, response to treatment, and longterm follow-up in 217 patients. J. Pediat. 98: 875-82 (1981)
6. GIUSTRA, F.X.; Nilsson, D.C.: Myocarditis following measles. J. Dis.Child. 79: 487-90 (1950)
7. HENRY, J.B.: Clinical Diagnosis and Management by Laboratory method; 71h ed. (W.B. Saunders, Tokyo 1984)
8. KEITH, J.D.; Rowe, R.D.; Viad, P.: Heart disease in infancy and children; 2nd ed. p 1057 (Mac Millan, New York 1967).
9. KROVETZ, L.J.; GESSNER, I.H.; SCHEIBER, G.L.: Pediatric Cardiology (Pitman Medical, London 1979).
10. LUNDBERG, 0.: Paroxysmal tachycardia in infancy. A clinical and experimental study. Acta paediat. scand. suppl. 143-7 (1963).
11. MILLER, S.E.; WELLER, J.M.: Textbook of clinical pathology; 2nd ed. pp.(William & Wilkins, Baltimore I 975)
12. NADAS, A.S.; Daeschner, C.W.; Roth, A.: Blumenthal, St. Paroxysmal tachycardia in infants and children. Paediatrics 9: 167-70 (1952).
13. PARK, J.M.; LEDBETTER, E.O.; SOUTH, M.A.; SINDARMONT, S. MIRKOVIC, R.R.: Paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia precipitated by pertussis vaccine. J . Pediatr 102 : 883-6 (1983).
14. SCHAMROTH, L.: The disorders of cardiac rythm; pp. 293 (Blackwell Scient Publ, Oxford, Edinburg 1971)
15. SINCHA, A.; BONHAM-CARTER, R.E.: Paroxysmal atrial tachycardia in infants and children. Lancet i : 832-6 (1971).
16. WAHAB, A.S.; ACHMAD SURJONO; MARWOTO: ECG changes on severe dehydration in children. S•h Asian Pacific Congress of Gastroenterology Singapore 23-27 May 1976.
17. WAHAB, A.S., SETIYONO: Takhikardi supraventrikuler pada anak yang dirawat nginap d; RSUP Dr. Sardjito Kumpulan Naskah Pertemuan Jlmiah HUT II RSUP Dr. Sardjito, Yogyakarta 9-11 Februari 1984
18. WAHAB, A.S.: Paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia in children : Clinical features and response to treatment. Paediatr. lndones. 26: 127- 36 (1986a).
19. WAHAB, A.S.: Takhikardi Supraventrikular paroksismal pada Anak. Peranan penyakit infeksi dan kemungkinan kenaikan kada1 enzim dalam serum. Berkala I. Ked. 18 (3): 137-47 (1986b).
20. WOOLDRIDGE, M.A.W.: Sudden death m measles and its relationship to serum enzyme and electrocardiographic changes. J. trop. Ped. 31 (3): 160-2 (1985).