Main Article Content
The convention of children’s rights (1989) has acknowledged and recommended a statement that minimal
standard for the child welfare with the range of primary right to keep an outstanding life for the children’s development to their
maximum potential, protecting from disturbances e.g. neglect and physical abuse.But, it is difficult to classify cases whether
related to the problem of neglect or abuse, especially in developing countries where discrepancies in health services is
remain exist.Objective : To present two cases which have been overlooked to the possibilities of abuse and neglect.
Discription of the cases :Case 1. A malnourished 2 years old boy who was admitted with diarrhea in Dr.Soetomo Hospital
Surabaya (September 6 ,1998) with :Clinical criteria of Marasmic Kwashiorkor available.Ignorance of health worker about
nutritional status and inadequate referral system. 3. Factors related to the malnutrition are: a. Early weaning and inadequate
weaning food. b. Poverty and low education. c. Lack of integrated health care (GOBI FFF practice). Case 2. An epileptic 11
years old girl was admitted in Dr.Soetomo Hospital Surabaya (July,12, 1999). Problems list were : Respiratory problem which
could not be explained pathophysiologically. Single parent, and inconsistency of adequate childrearing , Factors related to the
failure in compliance of epileptic treatment, and Isolation and restricted movement.Discussion of the difficulty in classification
of the cases, and the possibility of solving the problem in Surabaya related to the limited action of the Committee on Child
Protection, need to have positive suggestions sharing experience from the Congress members.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
2. Agus Salim. A problem case of epilepsy presented for the purpose of educatioal requirement in Pediatric training, Dept.of Child Health Faculty of Medicine, Airlangga University; 1999 (unpublished).
3. Hongkong Child Protection Registry, Statistical Report, 1998. p 13.
4. Johnston Charles F. Abuse and neglect of children. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics, Behrman Kliegman,Jenson., 16th edition; 2000. p.110-111.
5. Basoeki Lestari S.Child Abuse dan dampaknya terhadap kesehatan (Child Abuse and the effect on Health)Buku :Child Abuse dan anak yang berkonflik dengan hukum, editor Bagong Suyanto dkk. Kerjasama Lembaga Perlindungan Anak (LPA) Jawa Timur, UNICEF dan POLDA Jawa Timur.
6. Moersintowarti B.Narendra. Approach on Problems of Child Abuse and Neglect, Presented at The sixth Asean Pediatric Federation Conference, Denpasar Bali, October 21-24; 1992.
7. Ranuh,IG.N.Gde. Experience on child abuse in Indonesia, Presented at IPSCAN 5th Asian Conference on Child Protection, Hong Kong 25-27 November 1999.