Main Article Content
Background Socioeconomic status is one of the external factors that influences weight velocity.
Objective To assess for a correlation between family socioeconomic status and weight velocity.
Method This cross-sectional study was performed from October to December 2014. Subjects were patients at community health centers in Palembang, and included by a consecutive sampling technique. Data were collected by interviewing mothers using questionaires. We measured the children’s weight and compared it to the previous weight measurement on the Child Health Card (Kartu Menuju Sehat/KMS). Risk of failure to thrive was determined by plotting increments onto the 2009 WHO Growth Velocity Standards Chart. Data were analyzed by Fisher’s exact and Chi-square tests.
Results The 97 respondents consisted of 74 children (76%) with good weight velocity and 23 children (24%) with risk of failure to thrive. Using indicators of socioeconomic status, we found a significant correlation between the level of family welfare and weight velocity. (PR=48.000; 95%CI 2.3 to 997.1; P=0.016). However, level of maternal education (P=0.788) and the number of children in the family (P=0.550) had no significant correlation to weight velocity. Caregivers of children (P= 0.560) and duration of exclusive breastfeeding (P=0.390) were not confounding variables for weight velocity in this study.
Conclusion High to moderate level of family welfare is significantly correlated to good weight velocity. However, weight velocity has no significant correlation to either the level of maternal education or the number of children in the family. Caregivers of children and duration of exclusive breastfeeding are not confounding variables for this study.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
2. Tanner JM. The assessment of growth and development in children. Arch Dis Child. 1952;27:10–33.
3. World Health Organization. Growth velocity based on weight, length, and head circumference. Report of a WHO Expert Committee. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; 2009. p. xvii-xix.
4. Supariasa I, Bakri B, Fajar I. Penilaian status gizi. Jakarta: EGC; 2001. p. 56-7.
5. Aritonang, Irianto. Pemantauan pertumbuhan balita. Jakarta: Kanisius; 1994. p. 114-28.
6. de Onis M, Siyam A, Borghi E, Onyango AW, Piwoz E, Garza C. Comparison of the World Health Organization growth velocity standards with existing US reference data. Pediatrics. 2011;128:e18-26.
7. Badan Pusat Statitistik (BPS). Indikator keluarga sejahtera menurut Badan Pusat Statistik (BPS). 2005 [cited 2014 Oct 12]. Available from: (http://www.bps.go.id/).
8. Thaha AR, Kodyat BA, Minarto. Penuntasan masalah gizi kurang. Widya Karya pangan Dan Gizi VI. Jakarta: LIPI; 1998. p. 755-85.
9. Haryani. Gambaran tingkat pengetahuan ibu tentang sibling rivalry pada anak usia toddler (1-3 tahun) di Kelurahan Tugu Kecamatan Cimanggis Kota Depok tahun 2012. [Undergraduated Thesis]. [Depok]: Nursing Education Program University of Indonesia; 2012. [unpublished]
10. Ernawati, Aeda. Hubungan faktor sosial ekonomi, higiene sanitasi lingkungan, tingkat konsumsi dan infeksi dengan status gizi anak usia 2-5 tahun di Kabupaten Semarang tahun 2003. [Thesis]. [Semarang]: Diponegoro University; 2006. [unpublished]
11. Satoto. Pertumbuhan dan perkembangan anak, pengamatan anak umur 0-18 bulan di Kecamatan Mloggo, Kabupaten Jepara Jawa Tengah. [Dissertation]. [Semarang]: Diponegoro University; 1990. [unpublished]