Main Article Content
The aims of the study were to review the clinical features of patient with suspected typhoid fever, to obtain features of the blood culture results, Widal, Typhidot tests and to identify the relationship between/prior antibiotic administration with laboratory findings. The study had been conducted since January 1, 1999 till January 31, 2000 with inclusion criteria (1) age of patient was 3 to 14 years, (2) patient with diagnosis of suspected typhoid fever and (3) gave consent to participate in the present study. Thirty-six patients were eligible for this study and the result showed that typhoid fever was encountered more commonly in girls with the most prevalent onset was in age 5 to 9 years and duration of fever was less than 8 days. Gastrointestinal tract disturbance was the most frequent complain after fever. Most patient showed negative results in blood culture examination and Widal test, and gave positive results in Typhidot/Typhidot M test as well. Antibiotic administration tended to influence blood culture and Widal test as to need consideration in evaluation of laboratory results. However, a conclusion still could not be drawn definitively that further study with adequate sample number and positive blood culture as criteria inclusion was needed.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
presentation of pediatric and adult typhoid fever patients at the infectious diseases hospital of Jakarta in 1989. In: Nelwan H, editor. Typhoid fever : profil diagnosis and treatment in 1990’s. Jakarta: Balai Penerbit FKUI, 1992. p. 85-93.
2. Soelistyowati S, Soenarto Y, Soesilo H, Widiarto, Widiatmodjo, Ismangoen. Typhoid fever in children. Pediatr Indones 1982 ; 22:138-46.
3. Feigin RD. Typhoid fever. In: Behrman RE, Kliegman RM, Nelson WE, Vaughan III VC, editors. Nelson’s Texbook of pediatrics.14th edition. Philadelphia: WB Saunders, 1994. p. 731-4.
4. Chow CB, Wang PS, Cheung M, et al. Diagnostic value of widal test in childhood typhoid fever. Pediatr Infect Dis J 1987; 6:914-7.
5. Ismail A, Kader ZK, Ong KH. Dot enzyme immunosorbent assay for the serodiagnosis of typhoid fever. South Asean J Trop Med Public Health 1991; 22:563-6.
6. Leaflet Biakan darah laboratorium klinik Prodia.
7. Anonymous. Leaflet: Typhidot. Malaysia: Malaysian Bio- Diagnostic Research , 1996.
8. Anonymous. Leaflet: Typhidot M. Malaysia: Malaysian Bio-Diagnostic Research, 1996.
9. Mahle WT, Levine MM. Salmonella typhi infection in children younger than five years of age. Pediatr Infect Dis J 1993; 12:627-31.
10. Nathin MA, Hadinegoro SR. Ceftriaxone in the treatment
of typhoid fever in children. In: Nelwan RHH, editor. Typhoid fever: profil, diagnosis and treatment in the 1990’s. Jakarta: Balai Penerbit FKUI, 1992. p. 33-9.
11. Sumarmo, Nathin MA, Ismael S, Tumbelaka WAFJ. Masalah demam tifoid pada anak. In: Staf Subbagian penyakit Tropik Infeksi-Bagian ilmu penyakit dalam FKUI/RSCM, editors. Simposium demam tifoid; 1980 29 maret: Jakarta:Bagian Ilmu Penyakit Dalam FKUI/RSCM, 1980; 113-9.
12. Oesman F, Sosro R. Diagnostik laboratorium dan seroimunologi demam tifoid. In: Staf Subbagian Penyakit Tropik Infeksi Bagian Ilmu Penyakit Dalam FKUI/RSCM, editors. Simposium demam tifoid; 1980 20 Maret: Jakarta: Bagian Ilmu Penyakit Dalam FKUI/RSCM, 1980; 27-35.
13. Taussig MJ. Proceses in pathology and microbiology; 2nd ed. Blackwell Scientifif Publication, 1987. p. 540-57.
14. Watson KC. Laboratory and clinical investigation of recovery of S.typhi from blood. J Clin Microbiol 1978; 7:122-6.
15. Sutanto. Evaluasi nilai diagnostik pemeriksaan enzyme immuno assay (EIA dot blot menggunakan outer membrane protein (OMP) berat molekul (BM) 50 kDa kuman S.typhi dan uji Widal pada penderita demam tifoid di RS Persahabatan Jakarta. Tesis, 1998.
16. Issacman DJ, Karasic RB, Reynolds EA, Kost SI. Effect of number of blood cultures and volume of blood on detection of bacteremia in children. J Pediatr 1996; 128: 190-5.
17. Rooby AE, Gohar MA. The effect of chloramphenicol on the aglutinin titer in enteric fever. J Trop Med Hyg, 1957; 59: 47-51.
18. Ismail A, Kader ZK, Ong KH. Development of dot enzyme immunosorbent assay for the rapid diagnosis of typhoid fever. In: Pang T, Koh CL, Puthucheary SD, editors. Typhoid fever strategies for the 90’s. Singapore : World Scientific Publishing, 1991.p. 201- 6.
19. Punjabi NH. Prolonged fever in typhoid fever : role of hostparasite
interaction. In: Sarasombath S, Senawong S, editors. Second Asia-Pasific symposium on typhoid fever and other salmonellosis. Thailand : SEAMEO Regional Tropical Medicine and Public Health Network, 1995. p. 128-32.
20. Sarasombath S, Korbsrisate S, Banchuin N, et al. Serological approaches of typhoid fever. Proceedings of the Third Asia Pasific Symposium on Typhoid Fever and other Salmonellosis. Bali, Indonesia 8-10 desember 1997.
21. Ravel L. Clinical laboratory medicine; 3rd ed. Year Book Medical Publisher, 1980. p.143-8.
22. Hardi S, Soeharyo, Karnadi E. The diagnostic value of the widal test in typhoid fever patients. In: Nelwan RHH, editor. Typhoid fever : profil, diagnosis and treatment in the 1990’s. Jakarta: Balai Penerbit FKUI, 1992.p. 187-96.
23. Schroeder SA. Interpretation of serologic test for typhoid fever. JAMA 1968; 206(4): 839-40.