Main Article Content
A 12-year-old Indonesian girl with the body weight of 9.8 kg and length 78 cm was admitted to the Department of Child Health, Manado General Hospital with kwashiorkor and congenital hypothyroidism. The main complaint was edema starting 3 weeks before admission. Physical examination showed body weight for age (BW/A) 14.3%, body weight for body length (BW/BL) 66.0% and body length for age (BL/A) 49.1%. On admission she looked severely ill, apathetic, with hypothermia and hypotonia. Almost all signs and symptoms of kwashiorkor and congenital hypothyroidism were found accompanied bronchopneumonia and dermatologic problems. Laboratory findings showed severe anemia, leukocytosis, hypoproteinemia, hyponatremia, hypokalemia, elevated thyroid stimulating hormone and low level of Thyroxine-4. Bone age equaled to a newborn baby bone age. There was no thyroid tissue on thyroid ultrasound examination. The patient was treated for severe protein energy malnutrition and ThyraxR. Problems of kwashiorkor could been solved well but not with the congenital hypothyroidism. She was discharged from hospital after 2 months treatment and till now at 14th year of age with her developmental milestones equals to that of 8 month old baby.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
2. Depkes RI. Pedoman tatalaksana kekurangan energi protein pada anak di rumah sakit kabupaten / kodya. Jakarta: Departemen Kesehatan RI; 2000.
3. Toft AD. Thyroxine therapy. N Engl J Med 1994;331:174-80.
4. Fisher DA. Management of congenital hypothyroidism. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1991;72: 523-9.
5. Kaniawati M. Pemeriksaan TSH generasi ketiga. Informasi Laboratorium Prodia 1994;2:3-4.
6. Neumann CG, Lawlor GJ, Stiehm ER, Swenseid ME, Newton C, Herbert J, et al. Imunologic responses in malnourished children. Am J Clin Nutr 1975;28:89- 104.
7. LaFranchi SH. Hypothyroidism, congenital and acquired. In: Kaplan SA, ed. Clinical pediatrics and adolescent endocrinology. Philadelphia; 1982. p. 82-95.