Albendazole versus combined pyrantel pamoate-mebendazole in the treatment of mixed infection of soil-transmitted helminthiasis
Background Soil transmitted helminthiasis is still highly prevalent in Indonesia, especially in rural area and among poor socio-economic population. Helminthiasis is frequently found as a single or mixed infection. It is difficult to get a medication with better efficacy, low cost, and simple administration for all types of worms.
Objective The aim of this sudy was to compare the effectiveness of albendazole and pyrantel pamoate-mebendazole combination in treating soil-transmitted helminthiasis.
Methods A randomized clinical trial was perionned in September until November 1995 on students of a primary school in Tanjung Anom Village whose stool examinations showed mixed infection of helminthiasis. Subjects were randomly allocated into two groups. The A group was treated with 400 mg oral albendazole as a single dose, while the B group was treated with the combination of pyrantel pamoate 10 mg/kg body weight as a single dose and mebendazole 100 mg twice a day for three consecutive days. Cure was considered if in the stool examination, no wonn eggs were found. Statistical analysis was periormed by Chi-square test with confidence interval of 95% and p value of < 0.05 was considered significant.
Results Out of 541 children, mixed infection of soil-transmitted helminthiasis was found in 374 children (69%). Three hundreds sixty-six children completed the study, consisted of 182 children in group A and 184 in group B. At 3 weeks after treatment, the cure rate in the A group was significantly better compared to that in B group.
Conclusions Albendazole was more effective than the combination of pyrantel pamoate - mebendazole for treating mixed infection of soil-transmitted helminthiasis. Besides the administration was simpler and caused minimal side effect.
2. Depary AA. Epidemiology of soil tansmitted helminthiasis in Indonesia. Presented at the One Day Symposium of Society Participation in the Management of Helminthiasis; 1994; Medan, Indonesia.
3. Lubis EF. Pengobatan helminthiasis, pengalaman klinis di Laboratorium Ilmu Kesehatan Anak FK-USU. Presented at the One Day Symposium of New Generation Anthelmintic; 1989 Dec 2; Medan, Indonesia.
4. Pasaribu S. Anthelmintik generasi baru. Presented at the One Day Symposium of New Generation Anthelmintic; 1989 Dec 2; Medan, Indonesia.
5. Djali D. Prevalensi infeksi cacing usus di kalangan karyawan salah satu bank di kota Medan. MKI. 1981;3:83â€¢5.
6. Jagota SC. A!bendazole, a broad spectrum anthelmintic, in the treatment of intestinal nematode and cestode infection. A multicenter study in 480 patients. Clin Ther 1986;8:226-31.
7. Nokes C. Parasitic helmimth infection and cognitive function in school children. Proc R Soc London B Bial Sci 1992;247:77-81.
8. Pasaribu S. Infestasi cacing usus di bangsal anak RSPM. MIKIN 1998; special edition. p.195-8.
9. Sutanto AU, Sembiring L, Simatupang J. A field survey on ancylostomiasis in school children. Paediatr Indones 1976;6:453-7.
10. Tarigan S, Sembiring L, Simatupang J., Napitupulu L. Health status of preschool children in some settlements of tobacco plantation labourers in North Sumatera. Paediatr lndones 1997;17:317-22.
11. Simatupang J, Lubis CP,Siregar H, Siregar A, Lubis RM. The health status of children in two rural areas of North Sumatera. MKI 1978;28:2-3.
12. Lubis CP, Siregar H, Siregar A, Lubis RM. The health status of children in two rural areas of North Sumatera. MKI 1978;28:2-3.
13. Lubis CP, Yoel C, Nurbafri NY, Napitupulu L. Intestinal parasitic investation among children in six plantation, North Sumatera, Indonesia. Presented at the Intemational Congress of Pediatrics XVII; 1983; Manila, Philippines.
14. Pasaribu S, Lubis H, Nurbanli NY, Daulay Ap, Lubis CP. Infestasi parasit usus di 4 (empat) desa Tapanuli Selatan, Sumatera Utara, Indonesia. Presented at the 6th KONIKA Congress; 1984; Denpasar, Indonesia.
15. Tjaij K, Raid N, Sucanto AH. Yomesan (Bayer 2353) in the treatment of Hymenolepis nana in Medan. Presented at the 10th Seameo Trop Med Seminar. 1971; Bangkok, Thailand.
16. Lubis CP, Rusdidjas, Sutanto AH, Siregar H. Evaluasi dua cara pemeriksaan cacing tambang pada anak. Presented at the Annual Scientific Meeting of BKGAI; 1976; Denpasar, Indonesia,
17. Lubis H, Hamid ED, Lubis CP, Siregar H, Gani EH, Makmur H. Infestasi parasit usus pada anak yang di rawat di Bagian Ilmu Kesehatan Anak RS Dr. Pirngadi dan RS PTP IX Medan. Full paper in HUT XXX Medical School, University of North Sumatera; 1982; Medan, Indonesia.
18. Pasaribu S, Efikasi oxantel-pytantel pamoate dosis tunggal pada soil transmitted helminthiasis. Medika 1993;2:37-40.
19. Lubis CP, Adi Sutjipto, Siregar H, Kombirlasi pyrantel pamoate dan mebendazole pada pengobatan cacing cambang. Presented at the Annual Scientific Meeting of BKGIA; 1977; Parapat, Indonesia.
20. Sukorban S, Santoso SO, Khemoterapi parasit antelmintik in Farmakologi dan Terapi FKUl. 2nd ed, Jakarta; 1980. P. 400-14.
21. Gani EH, Khemoterapi masa kini untuk pengobatan soil transmitted helminthiasis. Presented at the One Day Symposium of Society Participation in the Management of Helminthiasis; 1994; Medan, Indonesia.
22. Department of Helmintology, Faculty of Tropical Medicine, Helminth laboraorty culture technique diagnosis of hookworm and related species. DTM & J-l Course; 1987.
23. Eddy Kosin. Albendazole suatu anthelmintik baru dengan spektrum luas. Presented at the New Generation Anthelminthic Symposium; 1990; Denpasar and Surabaya.
24. Mebendi N. Albendazole in the treatment of intestinal helminthiasis in Zaire. Ann Soc Belac Med Trop 1985;65:41-7.
25. Rollo TM. Drugs used in the chemotherapy of helminthiasis. In: Goodman, Gilman, editors Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics. 6th ed. New York: Mac Muran; 1964. p.1013-37.
26. Harun SR, Putta ST, Wiharta AS, Chair I. Uji klinis. In: Sastroasmoro S, Ismael S, editors. Dasar-dasar metodologi penelitian klinis. Jakarta: Binarupa Aksara; 1995. p. 109-26.
27. Department of Helmintology, Faculty of TropicaI Medicine. Helminth laboratoty quantitative methods for worm burden. DTM & H Course; 1987.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.