Main Article Content
Background In-hospital malnutrition is malnutrition that occurs during hospitalization. Approximately 70% patients with in-hospital malnutrition are not identified. Only few nutritional screening tools are widely used among children , one of those is the modified risk score.
Objective To determine cutoff point and accuracy of risk scores using the modified simple nutritional risk score to detect in-hospital malnutrition.
Methods A diagnostic study on 1 month-12 year old children hospitalized at Sanglah Hospital Denpasar was conducted between September-December 2008. The subjects were collected using consecutive sampling method and were assessed using the modified simple pediatric nutritional risk score. Inhospital malnutrition was defined days), 5% (length of stay 8-30 days), or 10% (length of stay >30 days). The statistical analyses done were sensitivity, specificity, positive/negative predictive value (PPV /NPV), positive/negative likelihood ratio (PLR/NLR), and post-test probability.
Results This study recruited 310 children. Based on ROC curve, the cutoff point \\lith combination of the highest sensitivity and spesificity the sensitivity was 79%, spesificity was 92%, positive likelihood ratios was 2.71, negative likelihood ratio was 0.29 , and post test probality was 47%.
Conclusion The modified simple pediatric nutritional risk score can be used as a screening tool to detect inhospital malnutrition.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
2. Mc Whirter, Pennington. Incidence and recognition of malnutrition in hospital. Br Med J. 1994;308:945-8.
3. Khattak MMAK, Khan A, Begum S, Abid j, Qadir SS. Evaluation of nutritional status of recently hospitalized patients. Pakistan J Nutr. 2002;1:212-6.
4. Sidiartha IOL. Insidens malnutrisi pada anak balita yang menjalani rawat inap di Rumah Sakit Umum Pusat Sanglah Denpasar. Sari Pediatri. 2008;9:381-5.
5. Mc Kinlay. Nutritional assessment: identifying patients' needs. j R Coli Physicians Edinb. 2004;34:28-31.
6. Sennet-Gaudelus, Poisson-Salomon, Colomb V, Brusset MC, Mosser F, Berrier F, et al. Simple pediatric nutritional risk score to identify children at risk of malnutrition. Am J Clin Nutr. 2000;72:64-70.
7. Manwarren H. Clinical validation of FLACC: Preverbal patient scale. Pediatr Nurse. 2003;29:140-6.
8. Mc Laren N. Disease-related malnutrition in hospital and community. [updates 2009, cited 2009]. Available from: http ://www.nursingtimes.net/nursingpractice-clinical-research /1958371.article.
9. Dogan C, Erkan T, Yalvac S, Altay S, Cogukras C, Aydin A. Nutritional status of patients hospitalized in pediatric clinic. Turk J Gastroenterol. 2005;16:212-6.
10. Rocha AG, Rocha EJ, Martina CV. The effects of hospitalization on the nutritional status of children. J Pediatr. 2006;82:70-4.
11. Suandi IKG. Diet pada anak sakit. Jakarta: EGC, 1999.
12. Hulst J, Joosten K, Zimmennann L, Hop W, Buuren S, Buller H, et al. Malnutrition in critically ill children: from admission to 6 months after discharge. Clin Nutr. 2004;23:223-32.
13. Pennington CR. Diseaseassociated malnutrition in the year 2000. Postgrad Medj. 2004;74:65-71.
14. Kondrup J, Allison SF, Elia, Vellas B, Plauth. ESPEN guidelines for Nutrition screening 2002. Clin Nutr. 2003;22:415-21.
15. Haier N. Hospital malnutrition: Assesment and intervention methods. [cited 2009]. Available from: htt p://www.abbottnutritionhealthinstitute.com. 16. Dahlan. Penelitian diagnostik. Jakarta: Salemba Medika, 2009.